Mannion Insurances would like to help keep our customers safe on the road and at home, especially during the snow and icy weather.
So why not try the following useful tips!
For driving on icy roads:
- Make sure your tyres are fit for the journey; pressure and thread depth can be easily checked.
- Stick to main roads, where possible, as these are more likely to be gritted.
- Ensure your phone is fully charged before a journey in case of any accidents.
- Have your headlights on, even in the middle of the day.
- Take care in shaded areas! This is where black ice is usually found.
- If you get in a skid, turn your steering wheel slightly in the same direction as the skid.
- And REMEMBER, Drive Slowly!
To prevent the snow and cold from damaging your home:
- If pipes freeze, turn off your water. Try thawing the blockage with a hairdryer!
- If pipes burst, turn off your water, run taps to drain your system and switch off all electrics! Don’t forget to call your plumber.
- If a ceiling leaks, avoid water from damaging furniture and appliances. Keep doors/windows open to help dry and prevent moulding.
- If there is a risk of flooding, use sandbags against doors and cover all drains. Switch off your electricity and gas too!
- Take a picture of any damage that’s caused to help in the event you have to make a claim!
- Use salt and then sand or ash to add grip to your paths and driveway.
And remember, Mannion Insurances are here to help! Call us to speak to our experienced staff if you have any worries regarding your insurance.